Bush revives the military draft (SB 89 and HR 163
of 2004 and $28 million has been allocated “to fill 10,350 draft board
positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide” [Utne Reader May 6, 2004])
or not, America needs the national service proposed in these two
proposals to strengthen our nation at home and abroad. In order for
· Raise its political IQ and better understand how to deal with the world,
· Win international hearts and minds,
· Improve living conditions at home and abroad,
· Give those who serve a solid, real life education on how the world works,
· Build national pride and cohesion.
These AWSC proposals need to be sponsored and debated soon in the Senate and House.
You can help introduce these proposals in Congress by merely signing the on-line petition recently set-up at: http://www.worldservicecorps.us/petition/
Within minutes of entering your name, city, email, job, or affiliation, you will receive a confirming email on which you must click the return link in order for your signature to count. Nudging the proposals into the Congressional legislative process will help insure that future generations will be better prepared to peacefully, productively, and cost effectively deal with an increasing complex, dangerous, and bloody world.
The two AWSC proposals call for one million Americans annually doing peaceful, productive national service. Under the proposals, those who serve have their choice of serving in these core organizations: Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, Habitat for Humanity, Head Start, Doctors Without Borders, or the Red Cross. If a million Americans choose the ‘Two Year Volunteer WSC’ proposal, after two years of service, two years of community college, and two years of state college or vocational training or graduate school tuition fees or eqivalent amount for IRA or Medical Savings contributions would be paid. The second ‘One Year Required National Service WSC’ proposal would only kick in if national leadership failed to inspire the one million person strong volunteer WSC.
Excerpts from the key WSC – Two year volunteering bill are at:
Please encourage others to consider these crucial proposals and establish links at your web sites that will help others support them.
Please sign the on-line petition at: http://www.worldservicecorps.us/sign_the_petition.htm
If you want to help more with this critically needed legislation, please contact your Congressional representatives by mail, phone, and/or in-person; or contact email@example.com.
The two World Service Corps (AWSC) proposals that need introduction, discussion, and enactment are:
1) Two year volunteer: If any Americans choose to volunteer for two years of World Service Corps service, two years of community college and two years of state college or vocational training or graduate school tuition fees or equivalent amount in IRA or Medical Savings Plan contribution would be paid.
2) If our leadership failed to inspire one million volunteers, then the second WSC bill would use a randomized lottery to draw from America’s approximately forty million 18 -26 year olds to do one year of peaceful, productive national service in the same organizations until the shortfall under one million was filled.
3) Those who choose to serve in our all-volunteer military would not need to serve in the WSC. They will have done their duty.
As works of this robust AWSC expands, the hatred fired at our soldiers would be dramatically reduced. And the foundations for true democratic nation building would spread and strengthen throughout the world.